When eating a mango pickle, a 57-year-old woman from Surrey, England, had to have emergency surgery after a mango seed became lodged in her throat.
The woman had something pierce her throat, according to a story by The Telegraph, and was taken immediately to the emergency room of the nearby Epsom Hospital. She explained to the medical team that something was blocking her food pipe and she was unable to swallow.
After performing an inspection, doctors told the woman they could not see anything wrong with her and sent her home.
According to the Telegraph, the examiners discovered that the woman was still easily drooling and capable of swallowing food. The woman’s body didn’t contain a “foreign body.”
The woman’s reported sensation may have been caused by gastritis (stomach lining irritation) or a scratch from a sharp food particle, according to the woman’s doctors. They instructed her to come back only if her condition worsened.
The woman went back to the hospital four days later showing symptoms of sepsis, which is the body’s severe and potentially fatal response to infection. She had a sore throat at that time and was unable to swallow anything. A tear in the oesophagus was discovered during the CT scan by the physician. The woman’s chest also contained air.
Following the sepsis diagnosis, she underwent an emergency surgery in Guilford, during which a mango seed was discovered lodged in her throat. The woman had intravenous antibiotics for a week and had the seed surgically removed from her body, according to the outlet.
The woman then complained about the hospital trust after making a full recovery from her ailment.
According to The Telegraph report, the hospital told the investigators that such throat problems usually come from “fish or broken bones such as in chicken”, which is why they did not consider the mango seed a threat.
Additionally, the country’s lack of national regulations for such a situation was disclosed to the investigative team.
The trust has produced practical and useful learning points, according to Dr. Richard Jennings, the chief medical officer of the Epsom and St. Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, who was quoted by the outlet as saying, “From something ridiculously obscure and exotic, and unlikely ever to happen again.”
“I was also extremely relieved to hear it was a possibly fatal mango,” Jennings continued, “having felt concerned reading the title.”